- This event has passed.
Riot of Colour: Botanical Art at Dartington – 23rd – 25th October
October 23, 2020 @ 8:00 am - October 25, 2020 @ 5:00 pm£350
About this event
At the turning of the seasons the bright colours of summer change into more muted tones, but there is still a riot of colour out there from changing leaves to harvest produce and late flowers capitalising on pollinators still around before winter sets in.
We will be spending three days using the autumn colours of Dartington to inspire us to create a finished botanical watercolour.
As autumn sets in colours change to a warm and sophisticated palette. There are the browns and creams of seed heads, hot flushes of red, yellow and orange appear in autumn leaves and autumn produce in the form of squashes, onions and corn.
In autumn the structure of fruits and flowers is the focus of much botanical work, whereas the colours of fading flowers and falling leaves allow us to use colour in our pictures a little more freely, with the flushes of colour in autumn leaves or the remains of colour in drying summer flowers.
– Warm up and practise.
– Choose a subject and make an accurate line drawing using measuring.
– Tonally shade our image to make our drawings three-dimensional.
– Experiment with watercolour, becoming confident managing the water and paint on the paper and practising how to do smooth washes and shading.
– Mix and match the colours of our plants.
– Build our tones with layers of watercolour to make our image three-dimensional.
– Use glazes and dry brushing to perfect our picture.
Food and drink
On this course, lunch will be provided on Friday-Sunday. These communal meals are a vital part of the learning experience and we strongly recommend you attend them.
Tea and coffee will be available throughout the course.
We recommend that if possible, you stay on-site during your course. All our courses are best experienced holistically: through working, relaxing, eating and staying with other course participants and tutors.
Our beautiful rooms have all the character and personality you’d expect, but not at the expense of comfort. With easy access to our wider estate, they are the perfect place to relax and recharge.
Breakfast and dinner each day – made with fresh, locally-sourced produce by our award-winning team – are included: one less thing to worry about during your stay.
Choose this option by selecting ‘residential’ at checkout (head to ‘Book now’, below). Please note:
– Accommodation is available at a discounted rate for course attendees.
– For this course, you must book for three nights, arriving on Thursday 22 and departing on Sunday 25 October.
– Breakfast each day and dinner on Friday and Saturday are included.
– Check-in for all rooms is from 3pm on the day of arrival
– Check-out for all departures is 11am on the day of departure
– Accommodation is booked on a first come, first served basis only